Continuity

My niece is growing up and learning about the ocean on the same beaches that my sisters and I did.


She had a kind of rocky beginning to her relationship with sand and salt water - she would scream and cling like a limpet to whoever was trying to put her down, curling her toes almost back into her feet! - but she is loving being there now, which makes me so, so happy.

I don't know what her relationship to the beach and the ocean will be like as she gets older - maybe it won't mean as much to her as it does to me - but seeing her on the same shores of my own sandy childhood is something really special.

And it's something that my sisters and my niece and I all share.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Einstein was a surfer

I hate Noosa Heads and Surfing*

Laura Crane has skin in the game: a surf story in five parts*