Feminism and famous people

So, feminism has become a real talking point among female celebrities lately. Popstars and TV and movie stars have been coming out in droves to associate themselves with women's politics, and clearly stating what feminism means to them. Sometimes I find the way this appears like a trend a bit uncomfortable, and sometimes it becomes a little simplified into soundbites. But I can't deny how pleased I am that it's encouraged conversations about what feminism is, what its political goals are, and enabling the kinds of highly publicised discussion that they have the pull to get media coverage for. While some of these seem like self promotion (I'm not linking to these), others are a reflection of personal beliefs. Angelina Jolie's participation in the 'Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict' is an example of this, as is Emma Watson's recent speech to the UN. They're not unproblematic examples (over to you, Roxanne Gay), but they're sure something.

Mostly, I'm just stoked that so many women are owning feminist politics. I mean, seriously, sequinned leotard and all, check out Beyonce.


That is a pretty amazing image.

Lena Dunham has been explicitly engaged in these issues in her TV show Girls, and these little clips promoting her book are pretty clever and funny.


Also, I know I've mentioned this before, but this interview between Tavi Gevinson and Lorde is excellent. So very excellent.


There is no real point to this today, except to say... Yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Einstein was a surfer

I hate Noosa Heads and Surfing*

Laura Crane has skin in the game: a surf story in five parts*